FOOD LABELLING ABBREVIATIONS

Let’s have a look at vitamin and mineral value abbreviations and what they can tell us about supplements like Multimin trace mineral supplement.

Most people have heard of recommended daily allowances, but it is becoming ever more important to know what these values on our food, vitamin and minerals supplements mean, and what they tell us.  We will briefly discuss the difference between RDA’s, DRI’s and DV’s and then put Ul’s and AI’s in perspective.

Dietary reference intake (DRI) – a set of recommendations for the proper intake of nutrients to enable optimal health and reduce the risk of diseases. DRI’s include 4 sets of values:

RDA – recommended daily allowances – These refer to the average amount of a specific nutrient needed to prevent clinical nutrient deficiency of nearly all (97%-98%) healthy people.

AI – adequate intake – This is a recommended intake level of certain nutrients based on estimates of how much healthy people need. It’s used when there isn’t enough data to establish an RDA.

UL – tolerable upper intake level – This is the recommended maximum amount of a nutrient that is considered safe to consume for an extended period by the population, including sensitive subgroups. Exceeding the UL does not mean that harmful effects will always occur; rather, the more a person exceeds the UL, the greater the potential risk of adverse effects.

EAR – estimated average intake – This is the amount of a nutrient that is estimated to meet the requirement of half of all healthy people in a particular life stage and gender group to prevent clinical nutrient deficiency.

DV – daily value – This reference is designed to help consumers determine if a food contains a lot or a little of a specific nutrient. DVs don’t take your age, sex, or various other factors into account.  They’re based a 2000 calorie a day diet.  For example, the daily value for Vitamin C is 90mg per day. The label tells us there is 9g Vitamin C.  One serving of this product then contains only 10% of your daily requirement of Vitamin C and therefore you must gain the other 90% from other food sources.  This value helps us to compare the quantity of nutrient within a foodstuff / vitamin or mineral between similar products.

MULTIMIN TRACE MINERAL SUPPLEMENT

Multimin Seleno Zinc Plus provides more than a 100% of your RDA (recommended daily allowance) for all 5 trace minerals, all falling within the upper tolerable limit (UL) for each trace mineral.  Multimin provides high quality and quantity mineral values within the established safe limits, enabling you to make a significant difference in your trace mineral status.

 For further information, please contact:
Egmond L Fourie: 082 575 0387
egmond@multimin.co.za
www.multimin.co.za